Friday, March 20, 2009

Clerks 2 (2006)


Clerks 2 (2006)
Grade: 8.4

So I have finally seen Clerks 2. I was a little nervous about how it was going to be. I actually completely and utterly enjoyed this. I really felt that it retained the qualities of the old one while still letting it be updated with higher production values. Yes it is operating under much more contrived circumstances involving the plot but since the casting of Rosario Dawson was so essential to the whole plot working and because she brings such presence to the role and does such a good job, even though its contrived, its pulled off well. Randal and Dante feel like the characters we know and its very easy for us to believe this is where they would be in 10 years. Its scary how easy it is to get back into it. Now let's just clear up the fact that I hate Randal. Hate him. He is basically the epitome of everything I hate in a person. Yet I still found him to be really funny during parts like The LOTR vs. Star Wars conversation particularly his imitation of the films and his quest to "take back" the word porchmonkey. I also loved that the film takes place in one day again and that Kevin Smith takes the time away from the ridiculousness of it all at times to have long serious conversations such as the one with Becky and Dante in her office and particularly the jail scene between Dante and Randal. I also loved Becky's character. Yes a lot of it has to do with it being Rosario Dawson who I truly love but I really thought that even though she is still essentially playing "the girl" role, that Smith really took the time to make sure she was not a cardboard character, that she could be as gross as the guys, that she did have a personality and was someone you actually cared about. I respected that completely. I also loved Elias and the moments with Jay and Silent Bob had me cracking up. The two parts that literally had me in tears were: 1. Jay's reenactment of the "Silence of the Lambs" Buffalo Bill scene and 2. The Pillowpants conversation. The music there and Randal's face and just the concept of Pillowpants was comedic gold. Oh and Smith gets double props for using "(Nothing But) Flowers" by Talking Heads in the opening credits. This basically completely fulfilled everything I would want in a Clerks sequel and that's about all I could have asked for from this film. Its weird how completely satisfied with this film I was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im glad you enjoyed this. i saw and immediately purchased this just over winter break and loved it