Friday, January 2, 2009

Review: "Bolt" (2008) Grade: A-


"Bolt" (2008) Grade: A-
I was not all that interested in Bolt going into it. I thought it looked cute and I knew it got surprisingly great reviews but it was not a film I was going to go out of my way to see. I am happy that my boyfriend suggested we go to see it on the same day as “Doubt”. I honestly do not know what to say about it. I have no problems with it except for the plausibility of the lengths that the producers go to to make Bolt think he is on the show. It does not rely on pop culture references to make it funny; it uses the characters and the story to find its comedy. It is touching, funny, entertaining, visually pleasing and is packed with good voice work, particularly by Suzie Essman who plays Mittens the Cat who does an absolutely fantastic job. I feel bad not saying more about it. One part had me inexplicably crying with laughter because I found it so funny but mostly the film is full of chuckles with several laughs. It just has a great story with great characters you really get attached to. The pigeons actually had me laughing out loud every time they spoke. Again this is not anywhere near a proper review because I do not really have anything to say about it except to go see it. The 3-D really enhances the experience as opposed to shoving the 3-D in our faces for a lot of showy self aware shots and spectacles. It simply enhances the visuals for a more satisfying experience. It represents what I want 3-D in film to be. Again just go see it. It is unfortunate that Wall-E, Kung Fu Panda and Waltz with Bashir are in the Animated Category because in another year this should really be nominated for Best Animated Film. It deserves it.

No comments: