Friday, February 6, 2009

"Encounters at the End of the World" (2008) Grade: A


"Encounters at the End of the World" (2008)
Grade: A


First thing's first: I liked this a lot more than "Man on Wire". Honestly I was a little underwhelmed by that film. Objectively it is masterfully put together. The part on the film when he actually goes on the wire was beautiful. I firmly believe what he did was beautiful. I adore Petit. But this film just engaged me so much more. Herzog's narration is so unique. It makes you look at what you are seeing in a completely different way. His narration is as I said unique, touching, haunting, adorable, funny and insightful. He has created something here that is so special. There are so many moments that were so weird and off and not anything I ever expected to see in a documentary. He paints Antarctica as a weird place, one that people who have been through so many different portions of their life find themselves. A place where important research is being done and things are being discovered. A place where little oddities are everywhere for you to discover. He presents a place that is completely hypnotic. I cannot get the moment when the lone penguin walks off towards certain death out of my head. It was so beautiful yet so disturbing. I highly suggest you see this for a unique look into a section of the world.

No comments: