Friday, February 6, 2009

"Quid Pro Quo" (2008) Grade: C-

"Quid Pro Quo" (2008)
Grade: C-

I appreciate this film's attempt to explore a condition that is not well known to people; BIID, a condition in which people desire to be an amputee because they believe it will make them happier. The film was interesting for this reason and because of Vera Farmiga's performance (has become one of my favorite actresses). However the film was simply unforgettable and actually too short (76 minutes) to accomplish what it wanted. I never felt like I had any sort of understanding of the condition. I'm not expecting much but I did expect a slight insight which I did not feel that I got. The subject matter was really interesting and again I respected the attempt to tell a different story but I thought it was building up to something and I never got a payoff. The film was not actively bad which my grade suggests; it just was not very good. Love the poster by the way.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Thank you for your comments Catherine. I think you're right, there is a failure of delivering more about BIID. BIID, FWIW is not only about people needing to be amputees. The film here showed another aspect of BIID, those who need to be paraplegics, like myself.

If you wish to learn more about BIID, you can check out a couple websites:

biid-info.org which has solid information, including published research about BIID, and transabled.org a multi-author blog about the experience of living with BIID.

Catherine said...

thank you so much for the comment! these sites provided much more information than I got from the film. : )